Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Hearing Voices in the Canyon


Maybe I was hearing voices in the Canyon because I was wasted. Nah, my poem, "Get Wasted," is in Canyon Voices vol. 24, Fall 2021, with audio. That's me reading (wait until 1:17 of the audio file to begin). And the little poem is on page 132. It's what I call a "Bad Voices" poem, spoken by someone in the backstory in my mind. I'm putting together a whole collection of Bad Voices poems. Did you think that was me speaking? Maybe so too. Did you think "getting wasted" referred to something other than drugs? Maybe so too.

But that ain't all! There's another poem of mine, "Fascination of Destruction," back on page 153. Again with me reading it in a Youtube audio file. It's another vicious poem about some awful things, almost a terrorist poem, but then ... So, was I hearing voices again? You go to a canyon in Arizona and tell me you don't hear voices. I dare you.

Canyon Voices is a beautiful publication, showing how talented the people involved are. Most of them are students at the School of Humanities. Arizona State University must be a great place to learn. Read the whole issue and you'll see what I mean. 

I'm very grateful to the bosses, Julie Amparano Garcia and Sharon Enek, for including me in Canyon Voices. 


https://issuu.com/asucanyonvoices/docs/00._canyonvoices_fall2021

No comments:

Post a Comment